The Edward Medina Prize for Excellence in Cultural Criticism is a new award for reviewers, critics, and journalists in the U.S. from under-represented groups (women, people of the global majority, trans, and non-binary) who write about theater and its role in highlighting people from various cultures, backgrounds, and experiences. The Edward Medina Prize is sponsored in part by Critical Minded, an initiative to invest in cultural critics of color cofounded by The Nathan Cummings Foundation and The Ford Foundation.
• Claudia Alick, founder and director of Calling Up Justice
• Wei Huan Chen, journalist
• Mirla Criste, theater professional and professor
• Lydia Fort, director and professor at Emory University
• Russell G. Jones, actor and Ensemble Studio Theatre board member
• Alex Meda, artistic director of Studio Luna and director of engagement for the National New Play Network
• Yura Sapi, founder of LiberArte and Arts Administrators of Color board member
• Mashaun Simon, marketing and public relations manager at the Alliance Theatre
About Edward Medina
Edward Medina was a proud Nuyorican, whose rich background and multifaceted talents served to create a strong, well-established life within the arts and entertainment industry. Beginning as a young magician and performer, then throughout his storied career, Medina brought his flair for the theatrical and deep understanding of the value of the arts to his roles as a recognized and award-winning producer, director, author, and eventually critic.
Medina was especially honored, as a member of the American Theatre Critics Association, to have served on the Executive Committee as well as the Membership and Belonging, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committees, until his death in 2021. During his time with ATCA, Medina heavily emphasized needs for increasing diversity within theatrical production and criticism, as well as providing fresh opportunities and support for new critics finding their calling to this vital field of the arts.
To learn more about Edward Medina, please visit his website.